Monday, July 16, 2012

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Book Review



Category:
Young Adult, Realistic Fiction
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 208
Language: English
Published: April 1st 2001 by Puffin (first published October 22nd 1999)
ISBN: 014131088X (ISBN13: 9780141310886)
About the book:
Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth.(more)

My Review: 3 stars

I'm quite shock that this book was labeled as a banned book and for some reason I've decided to read it. It's about a girl who was raped then decided in the end to speak and fight for herself (in her own way) hence the title but it's more than that actually you'll feel and experience those awkward moment and moment of hesitation she had during the entirety of the novel itself.I'm glad that she did stood up for herself,her friends and what she believes is right! though a bit short and quick read of a story I like how the main character developed all throughout.More power to you girl! and I do hope that whoever reads this book will feel empowered as well.

My favorite character was Dave Petrakis he's clever and stands up wheneever he thinks something's wrong with the picture he reminds me a lot of myself when I was a student lol :)) My Second favorite is Mr. Freeman (The Art teacher) he's nice,weird and let his class wonder and express things by means of art he lets Melinda explore and say things beyond what she's feeling and seeing experimenting lots of art forms it was really funny and engaging.






No comments:

Post a Comment