Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Looking for Alaska by John Green | Book Review



Category: Young Adult,Coming of Age,Fiction
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 221
Published: March 3rd 2005 by Puffin
ISBN: 0142402516 (ISBN13: 9780142402511)
Language: English
About the book:
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.(more)


My Review: 4 stars
First off I was greatly intrigued by John Green like who is he?what kind of books he writes and such I've searched  far and wide about his works this is one of the first I've ever own :)) I watched most of their videos via youtube (vlogbrothers) I must say that I am indeed a nerdfighter XD Nerdfighteria rules! I like the type of world they created that aims to decrease world suck!anyway,what I like about this book is how Miles found his great perhaps and I love how the story line was narrated in a before and after days countdown.There are some scenarios here that I saw myself looking back those awkward eerie teenage years and my great perhaps as well Oh good times! though it's kinda sad but quite predictable how it all ended.I asked myself the same question about the labyrinth and all that afterwards everything put together made a lot of sense...a very astonishing impact!

As far as character development goes they all got a long way to go Miles needs to open up more to people around him, participate and just be himself,The General what a funny guy! I'm not so sure about his ambrosia concoction for me dairy and vodka don't mix that well lol :)) Alaska,sure got some issues she needs to clear things up and accept the past in order to move on but....yeah I'm not telling you what happened next perhaps a friend that would help her snap out of it or share things with would somewhat help her out.The Gang being kids..teenagers and all got a lot of personality going on but they are definitely smart no doubt about it you just have to prepare,accept responsibility,care enough/much more even and know the consequences of your actions. I'd love to have a professor just like Dr. Hyde he's the type that would kept me awake,interested and patient enough to listened to every single word he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment