Thursday, June 27, 2013

Maus by Art Spiegelman


Category: Biography,Non-Fiction, Graphic Novel,History
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 160
Language: English
Published: November 1st 1991 by Pantheon Books (first published 1986)
ISBN: 0394541553 (ISBN13: 9780394541556)
About the book:(from Goodreads)
A story of a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe and his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father's story and history itself. (more)


My Review: 4 out of 5 stars
"No, darling to die, it's easy...but you have to struggle for life!" ~Vladek (p. 122)

His family's really lucky.I saw some traits of Artie's father with my dad.I kinda feel bad for Mala she tries her best to be close a lack/miscommunication perhaps.This is the first book I've read by Art Spiegelman and during German times as well as I usually watch documentaries or saw stuff at the museum.

In times like these I'm so glad and eternally grateful that I'm not born such tough and tragic past.It's quite disturbing to hear,read and listen to these stories in retrospect we could all appreciate and remind ourselves,count us lucky on what we have now and not take things for granted.
I like the illustrations and his writing style very interesting and refreshing take in storytelling(where characters are animals like cats:germans,jews:rats), an epic biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment