Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman


Category:FictionFantasy,Science Fiction,Coming of age,Contemporary
Format: Hardback
Page Count: 178
Language: English
Published: June 18th 2013 by William Morrow Books
ISBN: 0062255657 (ISBN13: 9780062255655)
About the book: (from Goodreads)
It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed.(more)

My Review: 5 out of 5 stars

I'm so glad I took that trip to the bookstore for this.I waited for quite some time for it to be released.I'm so freakin excited! the suspense is killing me! and now FINALLY! I can actually read it YEY!.I took my time to I read,visualize and absorb everything in it.I can see it clearly being played like a movie inside my head (I truly hope and pray they would make a movie out of it).I really don't know how to convey my feelings after reading this book.Up to now I still can't believe it's over and that it's actually 178 pages long :O It's short,fast paced and such a quick enjoyable read.I noticed that there's like three title pages in it,First just the title,the back with his list of works, Second another title but now along with his name then the Third just the title (yet again) then comes the story.I don't know for some reason it feels so weird![I'm not sure if it's the same with the other copies(perhaps) I haven't check but hey we're talking about Neil Gaiman's work here so extraordinarily weird is noted and I welcome it  haha!] and after some time all the copies are G:ONE!

Anyway,the storyline,plot,twist and characters simple,well written and brilliantly told!I love the cover!the color,metallic like texture,everything! it all makes sense especially towards the end (I like when that happens). I felt like there was some sorta shutter island moment but not really as the kid now a man grown went back to the lane, tried to recall what happened,deviation from what truly happened it was quite like inception the layers of thoughts,the glamour and stuff.Though I must admit that there are some scenes that made me look back and be like what the heck just happened?! in half a page or heartbeat or so something's just...OMG!.I don't know which one's real or not real anymore it's truly a great fantastic mix!

Lots of quotable quotes as well one of which that I liked best:

"You don't pass or fail at being a person dear" ~Ginnie Hempstock (page 175)

and this one too! no matter how many times I read this line after his father's confession it never fails to make me laugh "for a fraction of a moment, my entire childhood felt like a lie". 

I actually learned a lot from this book and I can see some of myself in the kid sometimes being scared and all around his age (7) I love to climb trees around that time as well.He's really bright, nice,read lots of books and had lots of funny thoughts I highly enjoyed those moments.The Hempstocks, quite odd folks but I like them they're nice,talented and I would love to hangout with them,share stories perhaps ask, exchange some recipes and learn their craft(s).I also like the I told you so moments but no regrets in the end.It was worth it! I highly recommend it to everyone!

Don't forget to check out Amanda Palmer's (AFP) blog post: http://amandapalmer.net/blog/20130618/
it has a lot of wonderful infomation you surely don't want to miss! ^_^

2 comments:

  1. There's been some great hype about this book and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! and it's a wonderful one I hope you could check it out soon XD

      Delete