Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cherries

Courtesy of Google ;)

I just love the cherry season I've been looking forward to it all year! I haven't tried cherry picking yet but looks extremely fun and I'm still learning how to tie the stem of the cherry with my mouth it's really hard I dunno how other people do it? hahaha!  Before I fell in love with this delicious looking fruit I used to hate it...way back then where the closest thing I could eat cherries was in a fruit cocktail mix in a can it was horrible and so when I moved and discovered fresh ones I ate some and loved it ever since I'm still craving for more XD

So Where did cherries originate? How much did the world’s heaviest cherry weigh? Read on to become the cherry trivia expert:

Cherries are a superfood! 

Because of their many health benefits. Loaded with powerful antioxidants, cherries may help alleviate pain, promote a healthy heart, prevent cancer and keep the body performing at its best. Cherries are also one of the few food sources of melatonin, a hormone with antioxidant properties that helps regulate the body’s internal clock.


  • Cherries are drupes, or stone fruits, and are related to plums, peaches and nectarines.
  • It is believed that the sweet cherry originated in the area between the Black and Caspian Seas in Asia Minor around 70 B.C. The Romans introduced them to Britain in the first century A.D.
  • The English colonists brought cherries to North America in the 1600’s.
  • The word ‘cherry’ comes from the French word ‘cerise,’ which in turn comes from the Latin words cerasum and Cerasus, the classical name of the modern city Giresun in Turkey. (Learn more)





No comments:

Post a Comment